When putting your northern MN home on the market, you want to put your best foot forward. With the exterior being the first thing a potential buyer sees and typically the first picture one sees, taking the time to prep the exterior of your property is well worth your time and elbow grease. Below are some tips to help make that first impression stand out and likely increase showings of your home.
Improve your landscaping. Curb appeal is crucial to a good first impression.
- Mow the lawn
- Trim shrubs and bushes
- Weed the garden and plant flowers
- Remove bees/wasp nests and cobwebs
- Remove garden art such as bird feeders, garden gnomes, etc…
Clean the outside. A sloppy exterior may make buyers think you’ve slacked off on interior maintenance as well.
- Remove leaves
- Clean the gutters
- Power wash exterior siding, porch, deck, and walkways
- Edge the lawn around driveway, sidewalks and flower beds
- Wash windows both inside and outside
Make the exterior inviting.
- A fresh coat of paint will make the front door stand out
- Replace faded, broken, or missing house numbers
- Repaint window shutters for a quick way to freshen up the exterior
- Ensure outdoor lights have new and bright bulbs
- Replace broken/missing fence pieces
Exterior Staging. Staging the exterior of your home can be just as important as the interior.
- Clean outdoor furniture, remove any that is old and worn
- Remove excess kids furniture, play items, sports items, trampolines, etc…
- Replace your doormat with a new front door mat
- Place plants on one side or both sides of the front door or utilize a bench or small bistro table on the front porch for a “conversation area”
- Put down a fresh layer of mulch
- Plant seasonal flowers in garden beds or about the entrance to your home
- Disconnect your hose and put away in the shed
If you’re ready to stake that “For Sale” sign on the front lawn Baudette, Warroad, Roseau, Thief River Falls, International Falls or anywhere in between, the team at Reed Realty is here to help you. We’ll custom develop a marketing plan for your property and help you get the best deal. Contact us today.